Hello there! So, thinking about gaining some supernatural abilities? Or, you know, making up a character who has them?
Either way, here’s a list to choose from. Enjoy! 🙂
- Astral projection – out-of-body experiences
- clairvoyance / future sight / precognition
- mind control
- remote viewing
- telekinesis – ability to move things with your mind
- telepathy – read minds
- clairsentience – pick up sensations and relate messages through this.
- clairempathy – to feel emotions from beyond the natural realm
- combat sense – martial art of sensing what a combatant’s next move will be.
- empath / sensitive – taking on other’s emotions, feeling them as your won.
- genethlialogy – astrologically predicting the destiny of a newborn.
- phyllorhodomancy – slapping rose petals against the palm and judging the future by the loudness of the clap (or the sound of the clap). Ancient Greek practice.
- sortilege – medieval term for sorcery or one who divines
- aerokinesis – ability to control or general wind and air
- atmokinesis – control and mentally affect the weather
- chlorokinesis – control plant life
- solarkinesis – produce solar energy or heat; can be used like the sun (wouldn’t this make an awesome vampire-hunter?) 🙂
- omnilingualism – ability to decipher any language
- psychometry – gather details about the past and / or future of an object, person, or location, usually by being in close contact with it. Otherwise seen as gathering information / impressions from physical objects.
- stichomancy – random opening of a book in hopes that the passage will reveal the future. (related to rhapsodomancy, which is divination by randomly opening a book of poetry specifically for the same reason, or bibliomancy.)
- technopathy – control technology with your mind (I’m going to do this so I can actually make my electronics do what they’re supposed to!) 🙂
- absorbtion – absorb various forms of energy and release it either as a similar effect or altered with other powers
- echolocation – determine the location of objects in an environment using reflected sound waves (I’d like to see a non-bat character do this.) 🙂
- temporal stasis – ability to slow down (or “freeze”) the molecules in an object until they stop moving.
- photographic reflexes – ability to mimic any movement (athletic / martial arts) after seeing it once.
- transmogrification – changing shape or form, even into inanimate objects.
- aeromancy – divination from the air and sky, such as cloud shapes, comets, or sky color.
- augury – interpreting signs and omens, but also fortune-telling in general.
- margaritomancy – pearls under a pot (it’s said they bounce if a guilty person approaches.)
- oomantia (also ooscopy, ovimancy) – reading eggs for omens and signs; fairly ancient divination technique
- tiromancy – examining cheese for omens and signs
- And my personal favorite divination tool:
- geloscopy: divining the future from laughter. (Sounds like a fun way to live life, doesn’t it?) 🙂
So, any magical powers I really should have on my list? Mostly I’ve just listed the unusual or those that especially intrigue me. What about you?
Thanks for reading, and have a great week. Oh, and hey, like the post? Why not sign up to follow the blog?
Have a good one. 🙂